break one's back
我們知道,break這個詞本身是「打碎」的意思,但break one's back,可不要直接理解作 打壞了某人的背,其實它是作為一種引申指「非常辛苦地工作」。中文中我們用「鞠躬盡瘁」來表示某人勤勤懇懇,盡心竭力,奉獻一切。這裡的「鞠躬」就與break one's back異曲同工。(同break one's neck)
Idiom Scenario 1
習語使用場景1
A manager and team member are talking ...
經理和團隊成員正在談話…
Team Member: That's a really big project. When does it need to be finished?
這是一個非常大的項目。什麼時候需要完成?
Manager: Don't break your neck on it. And don't let it interfere with your other work. It is just a pet project we are going to work on together.
不必急於完成它。別讓它影響到你的其他工作。這只是我們要一起做的一個小項目。
Team Member: So, just work on it when there is nothing else to do?
所以,在沒有其他事情可做的時候去做?
Manager: Exactly. It will get done when it gets done.
完全正確。該做的時候就會做的。
Idiom Scenario 2
習語使用場景2
Two friends are talking ...
兩個朋友在聊天…
Friend 1: Where's your husband? Doesn't he usually watch the ball game on Saturday afternoons?
你丈夫在哪裡?他不是通常在星期六下午看球賽嗎
Friend 2: As you know, we are going to be hosting our daughter's wedding here in the backyard. Bill has been breaking his neck getting everything ready. He has been working at it every spare moment he has had. And I've been breaking my back getting the wedding dress sewn.
如你所知,我們將在後院舉辦我們女兒的婚禮。比爾一直在拚命準備一切。他一有空就做這件事。我一直在忙著縫婚紗。
Friend 1: I guess it is a lot of work?
我猜有很多事兒要干吧?
Friend 2: And with the wedding only a week away, we are going a little crazy.
再過一周就要結婚了,我們都有點瘋了。
今天的內容都學會了麼?
歡迎評論交流心得~
文章來源: https://twgreatdaily.com/zh-cn/zB0XEnkBrsvY2_Uuch8w.html