入門篇
feel like + doing/something
What do you feel like doing today?
你今天想要做什麼?
go for
I really go for a car.
我真得很想要一輛車。
be in the mood for/to do
"mood"意為當下的心情。在此表達的是此刻非常想要的心情,下一刻有可能就不想要了。
I am really in the mood to escape from here.
此刻,我真得很想逃離這裡。
be dying for/to do sth
"dying"有奄奄一息、瀕臨死亡之意。在此,誇張形容要不到就想死的程度。
She's dying to know where you've been.
她極其想知道你去了哪裡。
進階篇
hunger/thirst/starve/lust/appetite/stomach for
以上都是人類正常的生理需求,都是由於對某物的缺乏而產生強烈的需求。藉此引申為對事物的渴望。
His hunger for knowledge drove him to keep learning.
求知的渴望驅使他不斷學習。
He was filled with lust for power.
他內心充滿了對權利的渴望。
高級篇
long/yearn/pine/ache/sigh/desire/hanker for
含有「嚮往」、「期盼」之意。指一個人全心全意、極為誠懇地期望得到某事物,尤指遙遠的、難以得到的東西。
I yearn for things that expand the soul and not just the pocket.
我渴望的是充實心靈而不只是漲滿口袋。
be eager/anxious/earnest/craving for/ to do
含有熱切得難以等待或難以抑制之意,表迫不及待地想要某事物。
It's human that everyone is eager for success.
人人都渴望成功,這是人之常情。
You are the only love I crave for.
你是我唯一想要的。
番外篇
covet/ be greedy for
貪圖、覬覦某物
Never covet the wealth and power of others.
切勿貪圖別人的財富和權力。
所有的慾望,只有小小的甜頭,而卻隱藏著相當多的苦頭。
All desires have in them little pleasant taste but much rather potential suffering.